Moderator: CLC Crew

Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker
Ingame nick: Wraak
LFS Name: Wraak

Timer Free Weekend?

Post by Wraak »

We have all heard of trueno and his infamous 2200km, and how noone will ever get more than 2200km in one sitting because of the 40 minute AFK timer. My suggestion is to have one weekend - beginning on 1 am Friday to midnight on sunday - free of the AFK timer. That way, there is a chance that somenoe will step up and finally beat Trueno and steal his thunder! Also, i could be an evaluation on how bad the AFK stuff is when the timer is not on. how about keep a running total of how many people stay AFK more than 40 minutes, but not kicking them?

Idk, just sounds fun to me :wink:
passme[bum]
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] Pass me
LFS Name: proteus

Re: Timer Free Weekend?

Post by passme[bum] »

dont think this will happen it means removing a chunck of code i assume so would be a step backward
Some People Are Like Slinkies - Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs
comp specs
Main
intel Q6600 ,Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P , 4gb Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz ,Msi ati rx3850 Radeon 512mb OC edition ,Hiper power 580
2nd
intel e4500 core 2 duo 2.2ghz , GA-G31M-S2L, 2x2gb kingston memory, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3850 256mb , psu 700watt
3rd
AMD 4200+ 2.2ghz X2 ,GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH ,4x512mb buffalo ,Radeon HD6450 512mb ,coloursit 500watt
all boring cases
illegal
Officer
Ingame nick: nic illegal
LFS Name: illegal

Post by illegal »

It's possible with the current timer, you needn't worry :)
▀█▀▐▌▀█▀ ▄█▀
teamnic | Lastfm | deviantArt

LFS patches | LFS Strobe
Distance records | Lap time records | Teh rig

Annoying you in LFS since February 2003.
theaidanator
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: ECL >> Aidan
LFS Name: theaidanator

Post by theaidanator »

I think it's a rather good idea but there may be lots and lots of users not actually trying to beat 2200km and just going afk there so they know they will always have a spot in the server. This could result in a full server and people who really do want to go for distance, not neccessarely (how dya spell that?!?) going for the whole 2200km of course, not being able to enter the server.... :?
Aidz
I don't have a signature, cause i'm awesome like that.
MaxH
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: MaxH
LFS Name: MaxHeadroom

Post by MaxH »

i could agree to maybe double it to 80 mins during a restricted period of time, but even that is stretching it im. Even if its possible to just comment it out, it would be a step backwards... the timer exist for a reason you know :) Besides, trueno did it with 40 mins afk timer.... so if you wanna beat the same challenge the conditions should be the same? :)
The swedish word for speed is 'fart'.
If you don't want to drive to get money, why are you in a cruise server? -dougie-lampkin

maxh.nu - My Twitter - FZ.se - C L C & Server status - My stats: LFSw, QS Image
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker

Post by Wraak »

MaxH wrote:i could agree to maybe double it to 80 mins during a restricted period of time, but even that is stretching it im. Even if its possible to just comment it out, it would be a step backwards... the timer exist for a reason you know :) Besides, trueno did it with 40 mins afk timer.... so if you wanna beat the same challenge the conditions should be the same? :)
really? i thought he did it before the timer was in effect... because didnt he say he slept or like 2 hours or something? dunno.
CasseBent
Discovering bank
Discovering bank
Ingame nick: CasseBent
LFS Name: CasseBent

Post by CasseBent »

the 40 min timer wasn't in effect at the time. So he could rest for a little while and then come back. 40 minutes isn't enough for that I think, yu just have to hope for insim to break.
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver
Ingame nick: SEAN-NZ
LFS Name: SEAN-NZ

Post by SEAN-NZ »

i dont think it should be removed at all, 40mins is plenty of time, u could have a rest, have something to eat, if ur going for 2200km, then u should be hard enough to not go to sleep for a while, its just a small sacrifice, and there are ways to make urself stay awake for longer, like lots of energy drinks :)
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4600 2.4GHZ LGA775 WITH COOLERMASTER V8 COOLER, ASUSTEK P5KPL-CM LGA775, INNO3D GEFORCE 8600GT 512MB PCIE,WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIER GREEN 1TB 7200RPM SATA 64MB HDD, POWER CASE 500W EZCOOL POWER SUPPLY, CORSAIR 4GB-1033MHZ, 1.5TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL HDD
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker

Post by Wraak »

SEAN-NZ wrote:i dont think it should be removed at all, 40mins is plenty of time, u could have a rest, have something to eat, if ur going for 2200km, then u should be hard enough to not go to sleep for a while, its just a small sacrifice, and there are ways to make urself stay awake for longer, like lots of energy drinks :)
i just took a break from lfs to eat and barely got back in time. It takes 5 hours to get 500 km in uf1 + more in SO due to slow corners, so i would have to stay up like 30 hours just to get to 2200km - thats if my power doesnt go down or connection.

Energy drinks kill you.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

*sigh*

I'll just put it to 1 hour, I don't wanna get sued for making ppl eat their food too fast and getting a heart attack. Then I will get to have more PM's from people saying that it's too long for AFK now, server is full and they can't get in.
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker

Post by Wraak »

JasonJ wrote:*sigh*

I'll just put it to 1 hour, I don't wanna get sued for making ppl eat their food too fast and getting a heart attack. Then I will get to have more PM's from people saying that it's too long for AFK now, server is full and they can't get in.
yay. I honestly have never seen it full enough that i couldnt get in. And if i ever had an encounter as this, I would definately avoid going on as all the idiots drive at 'rush hour' . BUT!!! maybe leave it to 40 minutes on cruise days (saturday, sunday) as they more full than other days

a compromise? :)
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

It's not a dynamic thing in the code.
It just have three values,
Max Time in Spectate = 20 min
Max Time on track = 40 min
Max Time in garage = 5min

Nor do I want to have to make it vary because it's a complexity I just don't want to waste time on.
I already spent waaay to many hours on it.

For example when it changes from Friday to the shorter AFK timers for Saturdays then ppl on track for 45 mins would get booted unannounced and I gotta write in exceptions for them. I got ppl screaming for more things to do (quests) which I agree is necessary, AND COMING AS WELL, the AFK system is simple, and it's gonna stay the same really. Maybe adjust the values a bit, but not all the time change it and not every few days to accomodate less busy days etc. I know some might think something more flexible might be better, but really, it's just alot of work for little progress.

I think another server I was on once just kicked you for being 20 mins in spec. There was no wearning at all, just booted. Ours has heaps more than that, but i really think it's got enough features for an AFK problem solver.

But thanks for the suggestions, all things are useful discsussions about improvements.
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: Shaken_Bacon
LFS Name: shakenbake

Post by shaken_bacon »

JasonJ wrote:It's not a dynamic thing in the code.
I just have three values,
Time in Spectate, = 20 min
Time on track = 40 min
Time in garage = 5min

Nor do I want to have to make it vary because It's a complexity I just don't want to waste time on.
I already spent waaay to many hours on it.
agree'd next discussion = Pandas?
Well I say ChrisP steals Wentz22 spelling skills.

ChrisP says Wentz22 steels signatures.
theaidanator
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: ECL >> Aidan
LFS Name: theaidanator

Post by theaidanator »

shaken_bacon wrote: agree'd next discussion = Pandas?
May I ask mr Bacon, what is your obsession with Pandas? :lol:
I don't have a signature, cause i'm awesome like that.
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: Shaken_Bacon
LFS Name: shakenbake

Post by shaken_bacon »

theaidanator wrote:
shaken_bacon wrote: agree'd next discussion = Pandas?
May I ask mr Bacon, what is your obsession with Pandas? :lol:
Well the other day it was just a random comment, but after that sneezing Panda THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!11lollmaobbq :twisted: :evil: :wink:
Well I say ChrisP steals Wentz22 spelling skills.

ChrisP says Wentz22 steels signatures.