Post questions and suggestion regarding forum, server or gameplay in this forum

Moderator: CLC Crew

Crystal
Officer
Ingame nick: Crystal
LFS Name: Crystal141192

Improving the Police Rules

Post by Crystal »

Reading through the rules, I've come across a couple ones that don't seem to be up-to-date anymore.

Let's take this one for example:
Do not wait outside and around the general bank area. You may be fined for parking up to €1000 on the spot.
DONE

I personally have never seen anyone fining a suspect for parking somewhere near the bank ..

Or this:
The bank-lane at FernBay is ONE-WAY (Don't enter bank from the round-a-bout) You may be fined up to €1000 on the spot.
DONE

Doesn't seem to be enforced. I would prefer fining the suspect something between 50 - 100 € for simply driving wrong way.

And a third I'd like to take as an example:
All vehicles must drive on the right hand side of the road failure to do so will result in a €300 fine, causing an accident while driving on the wrong side of the road will result in a €500 fine + possible repair costs of the victim vehicle.
DONE

This just doesn't comply with the current conditions and fines.
You don't fine someone 300€ for driving on the wrong lane.

Well, these are just three rules I wanted to show you. I request the rules to be updated because they seem to be out-of-date and this might be the trigger for some disagreements etc.
This is not meant in any negative way. I know, admins have a lot to do and stuff, I just want to point this out, that there should be an update in the near future.

BTW: Are we to post a new topic for each suggestion or just slap everything into that one suggestion thread? Why have an extra suggestion thread when we have a whole sub-forum?
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

Blackbird
Officer
Ingame nick: Blackbird
LFS Name: BlackbirdCaD

Re: Improving the Police Rules

Post by Blackbird »

I agree.. ;P
Antec 1200 | Corsair HX850 | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Noctua NH-D14 | 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz CL7 | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 | Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer | HP ZR24w+Datacolor Spyder 3 Elite colorimeter | Coolermaster Sentinel | Logitech G15 | Logitech G25 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
illegal
Officer
Ingame nick: nic illegal
LFS Name: illegal

Post by illegal »

Agreed that the rules posts need updating. Sometimes the grammar needs some polishing, but some rules especially need to be written down in accordance with the current situation. They date back to quite a while ago and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've been working on a collection of (updated or integrally copied) official rules and useful tips for beginning or experienced cruisers for a bit now. This should be released one of these days/weeks.
▀█▀▐▌▀█▀ ▄█▀
teamnic | Lastfm | deviantArt

LFS patches | LFS Strobe
Distance records | Lap time records | Teh rig

Annoying you in LFS since February 2003.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Those fixed i marked as DONE. I just removed the values such as 500 wrong way, etc etc. These were from the older system where there was no guide for conditions and fines.

And a long time ago, the bank had no cooldown timer and no CCTV, so some rules were written to keep people from sitting at the bank waiting for Officers to go on patrol meaning 5-8 officers were required at any one time to open the bank, which meant the bank only opened once a month for a few hours. Bank camping can still be an offence, just the amount is incorrect. Its now of course condition based, so a fine for camping on condition 1 could be up to €200.

Crystal wrote:Why have an extra suggestion thread when we have a whole sub-forum?
Originally the forum didnt have a separate area for suggestions. It was all packaged into one sub forum - "General" No-one ever got around to breaking up the stickied post into separate threads i guess . (15 pages)

Posting in different threads in the suggestions forum is okay. It keeps things separated and easier to find.
Crystal
Officer

Post by Crystal »

Thank you Jason.
That are just some of the out-dated rules though.

If you go through the rules you come across others that don't fit.
Just one:
All vehicles are to pull over if a Police car, requests that of them, failure to do so will result in a fine multiplied by the condition level reached.
DONE

So what I want to say: In general, the rules need a complete rework.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

Ahhh thanks. I just fix that little mess up to. Anymore? I can edit ASAP to keep things clear and less confusing.
Crystal
Officer

Post by Crystal »

Since JJ told me to point all rules out, that don't match the current situation, I'll go ahead :)
Here are all the ones that seem to be out-dated to me:

Road Rules:
4. A vehicle which is changing direction of travel, whether it be changing lanes or changing direction, must give way to incoming traffic, failure to do so will result in a fine, causing an accident while not giving priority to traffic will result in fine + the repair costs of the victim vehicle if necessary.
6. All vehicles must drive on the right hand side of the road failure to do can will result in a fine. Causing an accident while driving on the wrong side of the road can result in a fine + possible repair costs of the victim.
8. Slow down as you approach a roundabout. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is a risk of collision. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic. Failure to do so will result in a fine, causing an accident will result in a fine + possible repairs of the victim vehicle.
I've never seen any cop telling the suspect to pay the damage of the other car, it's voluntary.

Police Rules:
14. Officers may only set speedtraps if they can see the speed trap location from their car. Officers may only use speedtraps when in the using the red tag. Speed traps must be removed once the Officer leaves the area or turns yellow.
In the current version, you can always see the location.
15. If officers intiating pursuits fail to release suspects after fines are paid and the pursuit is over, they will be held liable and must pay for automatic pit/spec fines incurred unto the civilian. If the officer looses connection, it is the officers responsibilty to return to the server and release the suspect. Illegitimate usage of the ability to incur automatic pit/spec fines on civilians will result in suspension from the police force.
Actually, the complete rule is out-of-date.
Agreed. Ok fixed, at least we can be thankful that bug was fixed, function before form in my case, 'form' being the rules pages. //JJ

These are all rules I've found, that need to be fixed.

JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

BTW: I asked Crystal to point out any other inconsitancies, an outsiders view is always helpful.

Hmm i'll have to confess this rule:
All vehicles must drive on the right hand side of the road failure to do can will result in a fine. Causing an accident while driving on the wrong side of the road can result in a fine + possible repair costs of the victim.
is indicating that any accident requires the person causing the the accident to pay the person they hit some compensation. Although this is never enforced. Mailny because when an admin is ask to make someone pay for an accident, the admin hasn't seen it and can only take one person's word over another. Unless a replay is reviewed then no proof is available for an admin to force someone to do something. Rewiewing a replay isnt a quick job either. Sometimes takes me 15 mins to FFWD a replay to the spot and watch it. By the time you go back to the server, the guy is gone or your forcing someone to pay over 30 euros for a small accident. I dont want to spend my life reveiwing replays for measly sums of money, so expecting admins to deal with every single unpaid accident is just above any admins responsibilty. When writing it in the rules to pay for accidents you cause you are taking it to the level of an unpaid police fine disobeying server rules. They are there to get rid of players causing carnage, watching that cadets/officers dont abuse their postition and not for settling small disputes about small incidents.

I don't know, maybe we can put those into every rule, I'd like the other admins spin on that.

This is the reason + possible repair costs of the victim wasn't posted to every single law that can be broken. Look at how over crowded the court systems are irl, they have an endless budget and countless officials to deal with this sort of thing. We dont have the resources so it's impossible to enforce paying for accidents that are caused. If an officer asks you to pay for someones damage, well you obey the officer, sometimes its not done, because most of us excpect that when we hit someone and are at fault, we might say sorry, and if the victim is badly smashed unable to move, we help with flipping them back over and maybe paying for loss of earnings as courtesy. Accidents happen, LFS is laggy things go wrong. It's already an ordeal to pull someone over, state their crimes, and give the fine, expecting them to say, you give 30 to him and 80 to that guy for tapping him into that guy can be cumbersome.