Construction was fine, but here was my idea.

Post questions and suggestion regarding forum, server or gameplay in this forum

Moderator: CLC Crew

shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: Shaken_Bacon
LFS Name: shakenbake

Re: Construction was fine, but here was my idea.

Post by shaken_bacon »

Yes toll booth idea was a utter failure.

Here is my story toll boothing I was tolling the opposite direction as Wraak, I would park in my lane then when I saw someone coming on the mini map I would reverse. I just wanted to get the point of them to slow down. Eventually everyone was getting into an arguement, about this Toll idea. Also saying they would report me. (Not one person crashed cause of me I never even got hit once.)

Wheter you want to pay 5$ or not, you can drive around the tolls not hard, also Slow down people would speed up and aim instead of slow down.

I gave freaking money for people who actually used the toll, people are getting mad at me for giving away over 2k. Like come on guys, this is for fun, your not hot lapping if your going the wrong direction. (Besides hotlapping is rather dumb on a cruise server in my opinion, play one race and you can beat any cruise server pb by several seconds.)

The worst part was after the arguement I had a lot of traffic going the opposite direction all of a sudden. The people I was arguing with decided to come my way, worst was they would come full speed at me every time. Like they were hoping I would stall so they could ram me.

If someone is in your way try to avoid, heck out of all the people that I have to dodge and slam brakes on in wrong lane, those were many of the cruisers trying to ram me...

I am very disappointed in the community today, and this idea sadly will never work.
Well I say ChrisP steals Wentz22 spelling skills.

ChrisP says Wentz22 steels signatures.
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker
Ingame nick: Wraak
LFS Name: Wraak

Post by Wraak »

shaken_bacon wrote: I am very disappointed in the community today, and this idea sadly will never work.
I feel the same way as you. But, if they got used to paying the tolls i think it would work. There just has to be some type of insim thing,but JJ has no time right now so its going to have to wait. But, it will definately work late at night when all the idiots get off the server. People at that time are a lot more fun and will cooperate with you with role playing games and such. Definately dont give up, though. Thats what they want you to do. I thought it was fun at TB#2 with maxh, until Alex came in and rammed me and some poor newb. He was -3000 and alex came and full throttle into the back of him causing him to OOB. I might report, but idk.
Dark Force
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: Trueno
LFS Name: Dark Force

Post by Dark Force »

Just one question, why are you trying to slow people down?
:lfs:
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker

Post by Wraak »

Dark Force wrote:Just one question, why are you trying to slow people down?
Because IRL you dont go 150 mph into a toll booth.
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber

Post by shaken_bacon »

Dark Force wrote:Just one question, why are you trying to slow people down?
Just to change the game up spice things up. Do something other then cruise get a little role playing going.

Sort of like why admins add constrution, spice it up!

I like having the toll at toll booth 2 (past beach toll) If you don't want to pay you can drive around the tolls instead. So if tolls were ever (Gated) that is the perfect section.

MaxH
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: MaxH
LFS Name: MaxHeadroom

Post by MaxH »

Wraak wrote:I thought it was fun at TB#2 with maxh
YE MY TOLL HAXX IS TEH BEST!

Mr Bacon, im sorry to inform you that you have to redo your roadwork initially posted in this thread with the layout at the server atm. The reason is that we have changed and adapted some in the default layout so the zones would properly, and for that all layouts have to be redone rly. Its just so much and to messy to adjust every layout with the fixes. sorry :(

a hint: to get free objects i removed the big parking area behind first chicane, exchanged the rubber wall with a barrier at the corner at the wall and the arrows on the ground (but they should remain, hence me tjiiiting before). Those are the most non critical objects i found to be removable, that should get some free object at least.
The swedish word for speed is 'fart'.
If you don't want to drive to get money, why are you in a cruise server? -dougie-lampkin

maxh.nu - My Twitter - FZ.se - C L C & Server status - My stats: LFSw, QS Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

The toll booth wasn't a failure. Just the cash was directed at the wrong place. At some point if tolls are done with insim the guy manning it would get some cash for doing the job, of course. So even though he gets cash indirectly he still gets paid. I just tried to avoid that procedure by telling ppl to pay the guy directly, so I didn't have to add up how many tolls and so on and pay him for the job at the end.

Sadly, some ppl took offense to paying him direct. Which was only enforced by the officer (myself) which would mean a police chase for them failing to pay him (the toll guy), and so most ppl could have not paid and only worry if i chased them for it. They didnt have to pay him, he wasnt blocking the road either. And the police at the toll wasnt manned all the time. So i dunno why it was such a big deal.

I was just tring an idea. I didnt want a big ethical debate in game about 10 euros so I left. I realise a council worker giving out parking tickets in real life dont get that money, I was just trying to skip the paying the toll guy myself at the end of the shift, by making the player pay him upfront, probably because i was too lazy to count all the toll payments at the end. I wasnt about starting something for a new rule for ever. I was just trying something to see how it went. Some ppl took great offense and just wanted to argue about it, so I didnt have the energy so I left. Gotta test things in test before spending weeks coding it.

Having someone sit there is good fun for him because he can sit there and say hi to ppl, and then ppl pay cash etc. Its interaction, w/e. Something to do. Having some automatic toll with no guy there is is just an extra cost that really doesnt serve anything interesting. The cash flow may as well be lowered and that would make the same outcome.

When it comes down to it. Alot of ppl wont want to pay any toll, so if we want to imnplement it, it has to be enforced somehow, (otherwise there is no point at all and may as well not exist) In the past it was good because cadets were the toll guards. If you didnt pay you were chased.... etc But I think we are at point where ppl are so rich and bored that they would skip the toll to get a police chase.

Cadet/Officer - having to sit there and chase someone for 15 mins (starting at cond 1 remember) for not paying 5 or 10 euros can be tedious, because then after a chase starts, no-one else feels onbligated to pay, so the guy sitting in the toll gets nothing for sitting there monitoring the tolls. So I think some automated fine might work best if we want "manned" toll booths. I thought maybe this solution which i have thought of might work... read on...... if you speed through it without stopping the toll is paid automatically to the system - (like 5-10 euros) and the toll worker gets small percentage. Like 1 euro, so it takes ages to even make the equvalent of one lap. Or I was hoping like 5 mins would be about equvalent to 1/2 lap driving. Something small but something at least. Not 10 euros for 3 hours work. Sure, he can go AFK, but he is pitlaned and charge 600 for that after 20 mins. And If you dont want to pay him for the tolls, you can stop for a moment, type some command (or just stop for 2 seconds) and the fee is waivered. ???????? If there is no guy at the toll, the toll fee is ignored and doesnt require any payment.

So maybe that idea came about because it 'failed' as you put it.

Sooo in summary i mean...
Toll booth: Toll worker gets small percentage. If civilian goes though with no stopping he is auto charged the toll, (like e-toll). If he stops its free (toll check) and he can carry on. Only functions when someone is "manning" the toll booth. (working it)
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

shaken_bacon wrote:...I gave freaking money for people who actually used the toll...
can you elaborate on this ? you paid the toll worker OR do you mean the people who had to stop and pay the toll, so you reimbursed them ???
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber

Post by shaken_bacon »

JasonJ wrote:
shaken_bacon wrote:...I gave freaking money for people who actually used the toll...
can you elaborate on this ? you paid the toll worker OR do you mean the people who had to stop and pay the toll, so you reimbursed them ???
Well for example considering the toll was just for fun and was rarely paid, I first paid 200$ to the first person that stopped, then when Wraak was blocking the lane another 200$, paid a few hundreds to wraak, in the end I paid well over 2k in total to random people. Basically if you stopped I may give you money, I never said that out loud obviously. I also would pay if someone had not paid in a while or if someone would always stop and pay.

Also JasonJ I understand your think about paying the toll person directly, but after you left we discussed our reasons for not wanting to pay. Obviously it wasn't about 10$, it was the principle behind the matter.

Ok first off, we want to do something refreshing and new right? Well that is why I had the idea, I would operate the toll for free if I was bored, not because I want to get paid for the job. I am doing it because I want to now if the person at the toll is getting paid, and not to mention people are forced to pay someone money, well that isn't fair. (Yes it is just 10$ but the money is not the point, it is the ideals behind the money)

What is the difference for when someone passengers with another should they get paid for trying to spice things up? Or just wants to spectate a race? Or hosts a race? Sure they could make money by driving, but it is a change of pace.

Also Wraak stated, well people pay the shop person what is the difference. There is a major difference, when you give the shop keeper money, you are the one that has the choice. With a forced toll, and wanting to chase anyone who doesn't stop to condition 3 as you stated in the server, is basically stating, if you disagree with something your wrong. Forcing opinions on someone else, is the way I took it, and others in the server.

I even told wraak several times I would pay him 2k an hour, to run it as long as the toll wasn't forced. I do think if you drive through the toll you should have to pay, but the toll by the beach for example has a long way around. So basically if you don't want to pay your not forced, and you have to take the scenic route.

The difference between !pay, and !send just seems like well if you would rather drive and make money do that instead, no one is making you be toll. I offered to run it for free, and just have !pay, now if insim added a toll feature when the player earned a bit this would be fine like shop, as long as other players are given another option such as beach toll.

Those are my issues with being forced to send money, I would also like to add several other people just saw the toll as a form of begging, I don't quite agree with this statement, although I can see the logic in that as well.

JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

I see why they didnt want to send him cash.. you dont have to repeat that. I just didnt want to argue in the server about it.

But i still dont get why u pay people to stop ? How can i justify automatic cash given to ppl who stop ? This is the way to automate it, but i just dont see whats the reason for giving ppl cash for stopping at a toll ?

The other way i was saying to do it.. in my summary above.. the toll wouldnt take any money if it wasn't "manned". So working the toll booth means earning no cash (cause u gotta sit there) except for the small percent coming from the automatic toll. And rememeber I said the normal civ guy driving through it can stop for a breif moment and the fee is waivered and he gets this reward (of no payment required) for playing the role of stopping. The worker gets his kicks from making ppl stop or he gets like 1-2 euro (automatically) if they dont stop and drive on through it. I thought this was a great way to deal with it. I guess some other server will take the idea now i put it out there.
Wraak
Towtrucker
Towtrucker

Post by Wraak »

shaken_bacon wrote: Also Wraak stated, well people pay the shop person what is the difference. There is a major difference, when you give the shop keeper money, you are the one that has the choice. With a forced toll, and wanting to chase anyone who doesn't stop to condition 3 as you stated in the server, is basically stating, if you disagree with something your wrong. Forcing opinions on someone else, is the way I took it, and others in the server.

I even told wraak several times I would pay him 2k an hour, to run it as long as the toll wasn't forced. I do think if you drive through the toll you should have to pay, but the toll by the beach for example has a long way around. So basically if you don't want to pay your not forced, and you have to take the scenic route.

The difference between !pay, and !send just seems like well if you would rather drive and make money do that instead, no one is making you be toll. I offered to run it for free, and just have !pay, now if insim added a toll feature when the player earned a bit this would be fine like shop, as long as other players are given another option such as beach toll.

Those are my issues with being forced to send money, I would also like to add several other people just saw the toll as a form of begging, I don't quite agree with this statement, although I can see the logic in that as well.
Im pretty sure Jason followed the chat after he left, as his post before seemed that he did. But this as he said was a test and has only been around for 1 day. Obviously it wasnt perfect. But in jasons post he fixed a lot of it. Like you told us before, the main reason is to slow people down and have a change of pace, spice it up, like a construction zone. Jasons idea fixes most of the problems. If you speed through it, you are fined and SOME goes to the toll booth guy. If you slow down and wait a sec, then you can go through without paying anything. They are both equal in money because the momentum lost by stopping is equal to about 10 euros so speeding through it and getting auto-fined would be around the same amount as it would cost by stopping.

But then i think you contradicted yourself "now if insim added a toll feature when the player earned a bit this would be fine like shop" This is the same thing as it was before. Just without an insim app. By sending the toller 10 euros, it is earning a bit - as jason's original toll would be 20 euros, the toller is earning half - I guess i forgot to bring that point up in chat about how "tollers IRL dont get the money" im only getting 50%.

I hope jasons idea gets put in some day when he has more time, as I think that's the best way to go with the insim: auto fine if you speed through and a bit goes to toller, or stop and get it waivered or pay if you want.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

Ye i did make it 20 then made it half (10) for !send ing it. But i didnt feel like having a mass debate about it in the server and then having to re-explain it to every new guy that came in for that next hour. So sorry if i left. I just had enough of arguing. Maybe it should have been just five, not 10. But i dond think that would have helped.

I'm thinking that 98% of people would just drive through the toll. It's only 5 euros or 10 ?
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber

Post by shaken_bacon »

"But i still dont get why u pay people to stop ? How can i justify automatic cash given to ppl who stop ? This is the way to automate it, but i just dont see whats the reason for giving ppl cash for stopping at a toll ?"

I said it was random, I only paid once in a while basically because they were brave enough to do it, considering all the complaints. If some one does something unique I always hand out random money. For example I tend to hand out money for no reasons sometimes just because I feel like it. (If someone does a cool looking jump, good driver, etc.)

Also Wraak if your going to say I contradict something include the full sentence...

I said as long as it gave the player a choice, such as to drive around the toll.

CasseBent
Discovering bank
Discovering bank
Ingame nick: CasseBent
LFS Name: CasseBent

Post by CasseBent »

Having it done via insim is ok imo, but having some guy park in annoying places and having to pay him to do that is just *bad language reported*. Pardon my french, but don't we have enough people parking like idiots already? I for one don't like the idea of awarding people that park in annoying ways. You don't go 200 km/h through a toll booth, true enough. But the toll booth operator isn't (always) so stupid that he parks his truck on the road.

If I've missed the point of this thread completely, just tell me, don't rip me a new one.
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver
Ingame nick: SEAN-NZ
LFS Name: SEAN-NZ

Post by SEAN-NZ »

he was in the midle of the road to try and simulate a toll booth and to make people slow down, its not like he parked there and left, he did move for people, i would half expect that if and admin was controlling it that he would put barriors there instead of cars to slow people down :)
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4600 2.4GHZ LGA775 WITH COOLERMASTER V8 COOLER, ASUSTEK P5KPL-CM LGA775, INNO3D GEFORCE 8600GT 512MB PCIE,WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIER GREEN 1TB 7200RPM SATA 64MB HDD, POWER CASE 500W EZCOOL POWER SUPPLY, CORSAIR 4GB-1033MHZ, 1.5TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL HDD