Driver conduct and comon sense!

General talk about CLC and LFS that doesn't fit in other forums in this category

Moderator: CLC Crew

Razvan-R
Officer

Driver conduct and comon sense!

Post by Razvan-R »

We have come upon a time where the UF1 isnt seen as much on the streets on Fern Bay, or Aston. Though a few such small cars still ride on the streets, most of the cars are powerful, and fast. When you combine power with speed, and lack of control, you get devastating effects, resulting in major colosions, with many victims, and perhaps(why not) the loss of 2000 euros.

I started this thread to define a base of guidelines for the drivers to folow. These are not rules, these are not laws, if you dont obey them, you wont get kicked or banned, or fined for that matter. These are a set of standards that daunt upon your comon sense, and courteousnes(i spelled that wrong).

Since we have moved on tracks with enviroments that allow drivers to floor the gas pedal, we need the drivers to have mutual respect that way you can avoid major colisions. Here is a set of comon sense manuvers that will ensure a safe participation in CLC traffic.

- If you are traveling in the same direction and you come across a slower car, only try and overtake when its safe, dont try to be a hero, use safety first, like you would in real life. Use your head lights to signal the car in front that you want to pass him.

- If you are traveling in the same direction and a faster car approaches from behind, it is comon sense to let that car pass, theres no point in staying in front of him, its not a race, he will pass you anyways, and if you let him pass you(easily) then you do your part to avoiding a major accident. If he is flashing his lights it means he wants you to move over so he can pass. Its comon knowledge to let him pass ONLY when its safe.

- Overtaking will always be made on the left, never on the right, so if your a slower car giving way, always stick to the right lane, so the faster car can pass you on the left.

- Cars may signal a 'thank you' flashing their hazard lights a few times, this is only for courteousness purposes, and to be polite.

- Dont sound your horn, agressively, at the car in front.... if hes not letting you pass its because he probably cant, and will let you pass as soon as he can ex: 'hes in a series of one lane turns'

- Use defensive driving, put your anger aside when your driving, this is not a race, if you see a guy coming towards you at an incredible speed get out of the way, you are avoiding an accident. You accomplish nothing if you stay in your lane, waiting for the faster car to smash into you.

- Be prepared for hazardous braking, due to the lag in LFS, a car might suddenly apear to be braking... be aware and prepared to act accordingly.

-Over taking a car by going into the wrong way lane, is the last resort, and the most dangerous. Make sure that there is no oncoming traffic, make sure u keep u left hand side signal turned on for the entire procedure, and when its safe, signal right, and move back into normal traffic lane.

-Try an be courteous, polite, give way when necesary, dont be hard headed, dont try and act tough, you be the better man.

- Use the minimap, to your advantage, to see when u might have oncoming traffic. etc etc.

- Please be curteous and say thank you, to people that help you, it makes them want to help you again when you need it.

Remember, (this will be from now on a general rule in LFS) if someone signals his hazards(at you while ahead of you) it means he is thanking you, 'thank you' note... In many countries this might mean different things but on CLC thats what it means.
If someone flashes his lights at you, it means he wants you to move over, because he intends to overtake.

I hope these few words will make the streets a lot safer.
Last edited by Razvan-R on 18 Jul 2007, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
zilhaax
Going for lottery ticket
Going for lottery ticket
Ingame nick: z1ilhaax
LFS Name: zilhaax8585

Post by zilhaax »

If You want to stop beacuse of telphone or visit in toilet, stop Your car on grass or parking place, never leave Your car on track, not eaven a small part of it.

Belive me it will be smashed when You will be back.
illegal
Officer
Ingame nick: nic illegal
LFS Name: illegal

Post by illegal »

Nice post. I hope everyone on CLC reads these guidelines and acts accordingly.
▀█▀▐▌▀█▀ ▄█▀
teamnic | Lastfm | deviantArt

LFS patches | LFS Strobe
Distance records | Lap time records | Teh rig

Annoying you in LFS since February 2003.
Erik
Officer

Post by Erik »

The problem is that a lot of people won't read these rules, and they left their common sense in the meeting room. In my opinion officers should be able to fine people who pass on the right, or those who block people trying to pass. :)
Officer Erik
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

a very good post their. i hope people do read these and take note, because it would help to make CLC a better place (oh christ i sound like a politician :roll: )

i always try to stick to these because most are common sense anyway. i like to think i'm one of the mature members on CLC, and i don't do anything that would be annoying or rude to other people (unless they have really pushed my patience). and i agree with you Erik about the blockers... if i was a cop i might be a bit harsh on those people.

i've never really thought about using hazards and headlights to signal to other drivers, might give that a go.

Matt
Dark Elite
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Post by Dark Elite »

Very good post, and I hope it's read by everyone who cruises in the CLC servers - it'll make them a better place to be (Yeah, that is rather politician-esque, isn't it.. :P).

I've been using my hazards as a thank-you note for a while now - seemed like the only way to 'talk' to someone behind you, and it works well. :)

Yes, Officers should be allowed to fine for breaking some of these rules, particularly blocking or wrong-side passing. But you'd be a bit busy, Erik :P

Sam
[TSQ] Sam GBR
Sketchyrollin564
Stealing XFG
Stealing XFG

Post by Sketchyrollin564 »

Great rules, i have some to add.

Tailgating: DO NOT TAILGATE PEOPLE. 33% of accidents in real life are caused by tailgating, and it should be pretty obvious why. You want to leave enough room between you and the car ahead of you to be able to react safley and in time, if the car ahead of you makes a sudden unexpected move. A good rule of thumb is to keep one additional car distance from the guy ahead of you, for every 20 mph.

Also, when people are tailgating you, if you notice it, then slightly speed up just enough to gain enough distance from him. This only works if you guys are both following the speed limit, or if hes not and you are, but hes in a UF1, or slow car.

If you guys are both sprinted driving and hes tailgating you, its always good to have a "Do not tailgate me" hotkey (F1, F2, F3, etc.), to let him know to back off because he is too close to you. If you cant do that, or it doesnt work, chances are, he just wants to pass you, but isnt fast enough to be able to, when your also driving fastly. He obviously isnt smart enough to realize that hes not going to be able to pass you, but he thinks the closer he gets to you, the sooner he will be able to pass you. When this happens, its usually a good idea to move to the side and slow down a bit to let him pass, or SMOOTHLEY slow down (smooth enough for him not to rear end you) and he will eventually pass you.

The other common tailgating is when your going the speed limit and the guy behind you wants to speed, but for some reason wont pass you, so he thinks that by tailgating you, you will speed up. You have to acknowledge that hes an idiot and either A. Brake check him, if you feel like being a jerk, B. Slowly pull off to the side of the road, and let him pass, or C. Try anything from the above paragraph.

Double Laning: If you are going to double lane, be smart about it. You have a mini map, so use that to your advantage. Before you double lane through a blind corner, check the mini map to see if your safe from any oncoming traffic.

If you have the mini map turned off for realism, or your simply too lazy to check the mini map before turns (like me), then simply only double lane through turns where you can CLEARLY see there is no oncoming traffic, and go slow enough to stay on your lane during the blind curves.

If everyone would follow this rule, i think 50% of the accidents in this game would be reduced, and we would all be able to go multiple laps without having to pit because you have been smashed by a wrong wayer, or because you were the wrong wayer and smashed into sombody.

Drifting: Its illegal anyways, but people still do it. If your going to do it, your most likley double laning, so just follow the same common sence rules from the double laning section, and you should be fine. That is, untill the popo'z catch you.

Stopping on grass: Yes, its smarter than simply stopping in the middle of the road, but it is still stupid. Unless you are pulled WAY off into the grass, then its a really stupid idea. Constantly, because most of the drivers go above the speed limits, can from time to time clip the curb and the grass. It is very easy for them to accidently hit you if your parked really close to the road.

It is ESPECIALLY stupid to park on the grass in the middle of a turn. For that you deserve to be smashed into, but the driver who hit you, unelss he was going the wrong way, doesnt deserve it.

There are designated on track parking areas, and there is also the pits. Please use them.

Ramming people who are going the speed limits because you want to pass them: Just dont. Thats really stupid. Simply pass them. By doing this, you only damage both cars, and make everyone in the server hate you. If there going the speed limit, then its obviously easy for you to pass them. Why bug the crap out of them?

Indication: Using signals. Please do it. Its so much nicer to have the person ahead of you TELL You that there going to slow down and pull off the side of the track, or make a uturn, then to find out the hard way. Of course, if the follower wasnt tailgating, then they most likeley wouldnt hit, but if the person behind you is a tailgater, then you can avoid an accident by doing your part and using your signals.

It doesnt take much work, and to those who dont know, 7 is left turn signal, 8 is right, 9 is hazards (both), and 0 turns them off. If you want to make it even easyer, if you dont use the paddles to shift, then you can set them to be used to be the signals (left paddle left signal, right paddle right). I did this for a while, untill i changed my mind and thought it wasnt too bad reaching over to hit 7 or whatever key, as long as i wasnt going really fast.

Heres a different one. Yes, the faster you drive the faster you get money, but there are racing servers and practice servers to drive fast. Im not saying you have to follow the speed limits exactly, but atleast try to stick within 20 mph of them, that way we could have realistic overtakes and it would be more like a real road.

Today in CLC, there was about 8 people in the server, and no cops. Every one of us drove the speed limit, and it was a lot of fun. Occasionally, every lap, one of us would speed, and it was a different experience speeding when everyone else would go the speed limit.

It can get boring doing the exact speedlimit over and over, so what i usually do is do the speed limit and accelerate smoothley (shift at 3k) through the turns and slow areas, then when i get to a straight, i go flat out and go as fast as i can.

It actually is a lot less boring when you do this.

If everyone followed everything on this page, we would have so much more fun.

Anyways, thats my contribution.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

And what a great post it was. Thanks for the tips.

One thing that I have trouble with is approaching a slow down zone (50kph/31mph) and you can't "slow down" because someone is riding your tail. Any attempt to slow down approaching the red zones and they end up in your rear. I hate that. :evil: :x

It happens in real life to when you need to pull over into a side street for example. Tapping your breaks ahead of the actual breaking zone is a good way to signal with your break lights to the person behind you that they need to wake up.

NB: Razvan's signature has sent ImageShack broke with downloads. XD
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

GIVE WAY to normal road users when searching for gold !!!

The gold coins are never in the middle of the track. They have been hidden off the road for safety reasons.

Give Way before re-entering the road. Thanks.
Officer
Ingame nick: The Mad American
LFS Name: Runeman

Re: Driver conduct and comon sense!

Post by 4556 »

Exactly... When someone feels like a new PB in a GTR. There's some arguments and wrecks. And alot.

Also if theres a pulloff and someone is tailgating me. I pull off. And let them pass.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] ROB!
LFS Name: dougie-lampkin

Post by dougie-lampkin »

lol BUMP!
Image Image Image Image
Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

dougie-lampkin wrote:lol BUMP!
:@ i got banned for that kind of thing :@ :x
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
wentz22
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [CLC] Adam W
LFS Name: wentz22

Post by wentz22 »

Eaglezor wrote:
dougie-lampkin wrote:lol BUMP!
:@ i got banned for that kind of thing :@ :x
You got banned for spaming the forums like that for "Weeks" even after being warned twice.

CLC- Where Simulation Meets Reality
....And Chris P Sucks His Thumb
Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

meh suppose :S
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
Officer
Ingame nick: The Mad American
LFS Name: Runeman

Re:

Post by 4556 »

JasonJ wrote:And what a great post it was. Thanks for the tips.

One thing that I have trouble with is approaching a slow down zone (50kph/31mph) and you can't "slow down" because someone is riding your tail. Any attempt to slow down approaching the red zones and they end up in your rear. I hate that. :evil: :x

It happens in real life to when you need to pull over into a side street for example. Tapping your breaks ahead of the actual breaking zone is a good way to signal with your break lights to the person behind you that they need to wake up.

NB: Razvan's signature has sent ImageShack broke with downloads. XD

You know what I do ?

I slame my brakes irl. And then slam the gas, to scare him. And if he gets agressive. I take it from there.