GTA IV - Biggest fail in gaming history

Chat about anything about racing and cars, as long as it is in a game!

Moderator: CLC Crew

Crystal
Officer
Ingame nick: Crystal
LFS Name: Crystal141192

GTA IV - Biggest fail in gaming history

Post by Crystal »

Right, so I ordered GTA IV the other day.
I'm a GTA fan boy and played San Andreas and Vice City. That was really fun .. but what Rockstar did to their newest game is simply unbelievable.

The game arrived 2 hours ago at my place. It comes in 2 disks and requires around 16 GB of disk space.
The installation took about one hour for me. Yes, you heard correctly. You don't only install the game itself but loads of other software.
At first, you need to install Rockstar Social Club. This is required. Then you need to download and install Windows Live. After you have done that you may install the actual game which took about 20 minutes (I didn't measure it but that's how it felt) and I run a Q6600. THEN, you need to create an account at Rockstar Social Club. When you've done that you need to create an account at Windows Live. Furthermore you need to download an 30 MB update for Windows Live when you want to launch the game.
In order to run GTA IV you need to start the Rockstar Social Club program which always runs in the background while you play. All this took about one hour for me.

Then I was finally ready to launch the game. But no, it crashes.
After the first copy right note, the game simply crashes.
"GTA IV.exe has stopped working".

Rockstar has completely failed the game. I have an ATi card and according to the internet, 97% of all ATi card owners can't get the game running which is a complete fail. Rockstar has assured to release a patch but apparently hasn't find the cause of this problem with ATi cards yet. Awesome. As Trueno would say: GOOOD JOOOB ROCKSTAR!!!
Well nice, the patch will probably come in some weeks. I spent 50 € on this freakin' game and it doesn't work.

Well I'm out of words, I can't even say anything about the game itself because it won't run.
See my signature for my system.

I can only advise those that consider buying this game to not buy it until a patch is released and until it is confirmed that it runs on most machines. I'm not sure about nVidia cards but I think a lot of them have to struggle with GTA IV too.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

WWD|Medi
Leaving the ticket
Leaving the ticket
Ingame nick: naona
LFS Name: medi

Re: GTA IV - Biggest fail in gaming history

Post by WWD|Medi »

http://kotaku.com/5101687/grand-theft-a ... tle-broken

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=762088

¨We are aware that a small number of fans have trouble running "GTA IV" on their PCs, and we want to assure them that we are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible, "a Rockstar representative to GTAGaming.

And u run vista 64 bit: Users of 64-bit version of Windows Vista has also complained that the game is not running, despite the fact that it will support OS version. The reason for this is that it required Games for Windows Live system that runs on top of "GTA IV" does not support Vista 64-bit.

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gt ... 0Codes.doc
Crystal
Officer

Post by Crystal »

Umm, it has been extensively tested on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of vista and none of them worked.
And the thread in your link doesn't help a tiny bit. GTA IV just quits without an error message.
And note that it's not only me who can't get GTA IV running.
I know that Rockstar is working on the issues, I said it myself.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

illegal
Officer
Ingame nick: nic illegal
LFS Name: illegal

Post by illegal »

That's what you get in general with console to PC ports. Just about the same story with TD:U and many others.
▀█▀▐▌▀█▀ ▄█▀
teamnic | Lastfm | deviantArt

LFS patches | LFS Strobe
Distance records | Lap time records | Teh rig

Annoying you in LFS since February 2003.
Chesta
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Chesta!
LFS Name: Carboy717

Post by Chesta »

GTA + Xbox = WIN.
Image - [OPC] Chesta - Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
WWD|Medi
Leaving the ticket
Leaving the ticket
Ingame nick: naona
LFS Name: medi

Post by WWD|Medi »

Themee
Officer
Ingame nick: Themee
LFS Name: Themee

Post by Themee »

The phail is strong with this one... lol

this is why you should just keep playing clc :yipee:
Come to the Dark Side!!... We have Milk and Cookies

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
rikkiwhitehead
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [OPC] Rikki!
LFS Name: rikkiwhitehead

Post by rikkiwhitehead »

i got gta4 on ps3 and played it once. that is it. its just in a cuboard in the library atm - prob wont play it ever again tbh.
Regards,
Rikki

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

:lam: well, im still gunna buy the game but if it dont work i will just demand my money back, as a big fan of gta i would say that i think that if it is that bad at running etc they should have held it back a wile to fix these bugs
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
Crystal
Officer

Post by Crystal »

Well no idea how i did it but it's running now.
But it really flickers a lot. Shadows disappearing here and there.
I hope the patch will fix all this.

Sicarius
Discovering bank
Discovering bank

Post by Sicarius »

I haven't tried the pc version but GTA4 is a lot of fun on my younger brother's xbox. Sucks it doesn't work with ati cards, but I have to say: nvidia ftw :headbang:
Absinthe, my favorite drink, "After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, which is the most horrible thing in the world." - Oscar Wilde
Timbe_
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC]Timbe_
LFS Name: Timbe_

Post by Timbe_ »

ill install my gta4 @ sunday maybe :blah: and lets hope it runs! i have been playing gta's since gta 1 :teehee:
CLC - Where i pwn people!
The gardener Image 3rd time in a row!
Servers players
Quickscript stats
LfsW stats
ImageImage
Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

<3 GTA 1, pure class, got it on my laptop :P
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
Timbe_
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC]Timbe_
LFS Name: Timbe_

Post by Timbe_ »

heres something i have found while searching stuff about gta IV

lets hope iqn allows me to direct link: http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gt ... 0Codes.doc
CLC - Where i pwn people!
The gardener Image 3rd time in a row!
Servers players
Quickscript stats
LfsW stats
ImageImage
Crystal
Officer

Post by Crystal »

Timbe you fail.
Medi posted that link already and i said already it doesn't give any error codes.