help with DDS lights

All kinds of Caribbean Cruise downloads and screenshots should be posted here.

Moderator: CLC Crew

AnyBodyKilla
Officer
Ingame nick: AnyBodyKilla
LFS Name: AnyBodyKilla

help with DDS lights

Post by AnyBodyKilla »

im working on a interior for the FZ5 and doing the headlights too, but i ran into a small problem. i think its probally the way i saved or the alpha layer maybe not sure.
Crystal
Officer
Ingame nick: Crystal
LFS Name: Crystal141192

Re: help with DDS lights

Post by Crystal »

I think that's normal, at least it's the same for me and I use the default lights IIRC.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

yeh, thats normal, i have the same
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Interior textures have no alpha layer that is used in game.

What you see there is the reflection. You've downloaded a reflection pack which is quite strong. You can adjust reflection levels with LFS's cfg.txt Car Shine 1.00, make it lower.
Bobomoomin
Officer
Ingame nick: [CLC] Bobo
LFS Name: Jack Tebbutt

Post by Bobomoomin »

Just to add on to what JJ has said.

Is NOT possible to make this texture work as it should, the reason behind this is that it needs a texture with an alpha layer (Transparency). Now this is very easy to make, but for LFS to read this alpha layer you would have to put APLHA at the end of the file name e.g interior1APLHA.dds

Of course, it is possible to rename this file to include the word alpha at the end but then lfs won't load it, becuase it's looking for a file called interior1.dds not interior1APLHA.dds

Yes I know this was a pointless post but I'm bored and beerless.
AnyBodyKilla
Officer
Ingame nick: AnyBodyKilla
LFS Name: AnyBodyKilla

Post by AnyBodyKilla »

ok maybe do something else with the lights then. THX for the info guys :thumbup:
(cant help i just like this one) :pokey:
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

I just posted a 1/2 page essay on this, but because you posted, the browser lost the post.

Looking at the screenies again, it looks like I was probably wrong about what your issue is. You're worried the lights look bad because there is a lighter coloured square box around the globes when the lights are turned on, correct?

Just make that area around the globes really dark, so when the lighs come on, the contrast goes up in the lighter areas but not in the darker areas.

Look at how the default lights work in the default interiors.

Does this help?
THE WIZARD DK
Condition 2-speeder
Condition 2-speeder
Ingame nick: THE WIZARD DK
LFS Name: THE WIZARD DK

Post by THE WIZARD DK »

JasonJ wrote:I just posted a 1/2 page essay on this, but because you posted, the browser lost the post.

Looking at the screenies again, it looks like I was probably wrong about what your issue is. You're worried the lights look bad because there is a lighter coloured square box around the globes when the lights are turned on, correct?

Just make that area around the globes really dark, so when the lighs come on, the contrast goes up in the lighter areas but not in the darker areas.

Look at how the default lights work in the default interiors.

Does this help?

true. when i do lights, i find the darkest black and use it for a background in the lights area of the dds. then ill put up the light source i want.. but i think you should test your work in a original lfs.exe for best results... that way you will know how others sees it..