HIGH RESOLUTION SKINS

General talk about CLC and LFS that doesn't fit in other forums in this category

Moderator: CLC Crew

SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver
Ingame nick: SEAN-NZ
LFS Name: SEAN-NZ

HIGH RESOLUTION SKINS

Post by SEAN-NZ »

I am wandering how to make skins that get downloaded while i race to work, a bunch of high res skins and normal skins have been downloaded but they are saved as DDS files, so i cant use the skin on my car, can someone please help me with this?
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

You can copy the chosen skin from the skins_x or skins_y folder into your skins_dds folder. Once you have done that they appear in the Pits>>ColoursTab>>TextureNameArea and you can select them inside LiveForSpeed.

Be aware that alot of the skins are not yours to use or modify. Even if you can not see "do not use" on the skin file, someone else may have edited the skin and removed that message, which means your in receipt of stolen goods :]

The dds files will be only 512x512 unless you use High Res downloads for 3 pounds or what ever it is. Skins at 512x512 dds format look pretty bdd. It's best to hunt down the original .jpg files from LFS forums and skinning sites, like http://www.master-skinnerz.com/

If you want to view dds files, I use a program called IrFanView and I got a plugin for it to view dds files.

IF your wondering, the "skins" folder is used to store .jpgs
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver

Post by SEAN-NZ »

I put them into the DDS folder and then had a look to see if they were in the skin thing in the garage of LFS, but there isnt anything there
AnyBodyKilla
Officer
Ingame nick: AnyBodyKilla
LFS Name: AnyBodyKilla

Post by AnyBodyKilla »

You can copy the chosen skin from the skins_x or skins_y folder into your skins_dds folder.
i thought u put them in the skins folder then the game converted to dds
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Re: HIGH RESOLUTION SKINS

Post by JasonJ »

SEAN-NZ wrote:I am wandering how to make skins that get downloaded while i race to work, a bunch of high res skins and normal skins have been downloaded but they are saved as DDS files, so i cant use the skin on my car, can someone please help me with this?
AnyBodyKilla wrote: i thought u put them in the skins folder then the game converted to dds
He already had DDS files. He was trying to use DDS files from Skins_X or Skins_Y If you put dds files into "skins" you wont see them. The skins folder is for JPG's which convert to DDS and automatically saves them to the skins_dds folder if you use Compressed car skins and helmets setting = YES.

JPGs files (must go into) skins
DDS files (must go into) skins_dds

I was experimenting the other week. It seemed that the skins_dds folder was only looked at by the pit screen skin chooser when I had COMPRESSED SKINS AND HELMETS TURNED ON TO YES.

I'll have to see what happens when COMPRESSED = NO is used. Perhapse the skin_dds folder doesn't even get looked at when using non-compressed mode in LFS options>>graphics.

You can get dds converters to make this whole process easier. I Use IrFan View and the dds conversion plug-in.
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

With that you can open DDs files and save them as JPGS for use in the the Skins folder.
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver

Post by SEAN-NZ »

YAY i got it to work :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :) :) :) , i downloaded the software tat u gave the link fr :lol: :lol: :D :D
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Re: HIGH RESOLUTION SKINS

Post by JasonJ »

JasonJ wrote:............
JPGs files (must go into) skins
DDS files (must go into) skins_dds

I was experimenting the other week. It seemed that the skins_dds folder was only looked at by the pit screen skin chooser when I had COMPRESSED SKINS AND HELMETS TURNED ON TO YES.

I'll have to see what happens when COMPRESSED = NO is used. Perhapse the skin_dds folder doesn't even get looked at when using non-compressed mode in LFS options>>graphics...........
Just clarifying.......

when I had COMPRESSED SKINS AND HELMETS TURNED ON TO FULL (yes) my garage can see any skins in skins_dds folder, so that FULL option is not required to add dds skins.