Need help with random disconnects

General talk about computers, hardware and software.

Moderator: CLC Crew

V1cinity
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Need help with random disconnects

Post by V1cinity »

This is WS-6 Vic. Most of you are prolly saying "Who?" but thats not important.

I've been playing a lot over the past week and until today have never had a problem with disconnects. I've changed nothing on my side so maybe its the server or maybe my ISP. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help me from disconnecting?

It really sucks to get to around 150-170km and DC. Three times in one day. Im trying to make money but it seems like all Im doing is paying for the disconnect fines. :(

Help is much appreciated!
Pugsly
Condition 2-speeder
Condition 2-speeder

Post by Pugsly »

The server just went down for unknown reason Wentz is trying to sort it out now, all i can suggest is a hammer to the router :)
V1cinity
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Post by V1cinity »

Just about 15 min ago? If so then that means we didn't get fined, right?

I could do a direct connection to modem seeing as no one else in the house is using internet. I'll try that.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

1st thing first.

150km will make you about 4000 Euros. Timeout/Disconnect will only cost 600. That still leaves you with ~3400. A timeout is worth 600 about 3-5 laps at aston. (About 12 minutes)

1) Is everyone else having disconnect problems on CLC at the same time? The server goes down once, thats possible. But multiple times a day randomly disconnecting everyone, usually this is reported by more people, or even discussed in the server. When you return does anyoner else mention they got disconencted?

If no one else is reporting constant issues then its most likely a problem at your side/ISP.

2) What about other games servers? Does it happen there.

3) What sort of ping do you get to the CLC server. (Listed on the master server list before you connect) What country do you live in? Anything outside of UK is going to vunerable to packet loss as the further you get away from the server, the more routers are going to be potentially going to let you down.

What is your internet connection type. Is it dial up / DSL / DSL2. Are you possibly downloading stuff on the PC at the same time. That is a definate No No when playing LFS online.

Tips:
-Don't download while playing LFS
-Reboot the computer/router
-Test your internet connection, try pinging your ISP's DNS server to see if you have a good, solid, stable conenction.
-Try a different modem/router.
-Check your ISP's web site for potential issues in your area.
-Try other LFS gaming with similar ping as CLC servers to see what the connection is there
V1cinity
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Post by V1cinity »

I got it sorted out, Jason. Its my P.O.S. Linksys™ router.

I connected to the modem directly and was able to make a 500km run just now. :)

Just broke 100k tonight.

BTW, reason why I started here was at the time, there were about 8 people on the server but me and some other guy kept getting D/Ced at the same time. Coincidence or whatever, its over now tho.

Thanks for your help!
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

Sometimes when you disconnect you can actually take some one else out as well, since the main server is struggling to keep your connection it takes priority off other players for some bizaar reason. So if you drop out, you can sometimes hit someone else out of the loop. It's not common place but happens from time to time. I wish they could sort that issue out in LFS, it seems wrong that one person lagging can make other people unrelated time out and so on.

Well done on getting it sorted. It sometimes take me days to figure out PC problems. I hate computers. :(

You said you hit 100K ? Nice work..., how long did this take you? 1 week, 3 days, what? I'm just curious to see how much easier it is for new dedicated CLC players with all the new server bonuses and cheaper fines.
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

funny i'm having similar problems with my Linksys router. keeps rebooting itself randomly. only happens when it's under heavy use, so i'm guessing it can't handle the speed
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

...or its overheating, try clearing the area where it sits, free from obstructions, make sure it has good airflow around it.

Is it sitting next to your PC? If it is, it might be getting extra heat from there as well, move it away from your PC.

Sometimes a ROM Flash fixes issues with hardware, but read up on that first as you can wreck your router doing that incorrecty.
Chris P
Using !pitlane
Using !pitlane
Ingame nick: Chris P
LFS Name: Chris P

Post by Chris P »

matt2000 wrote:funny i'm having similar problems with my Linksys router. keeps rebooting itself randomly. only happens when it's under heavy use, so i'm guessing it can't handle the speed
Plenty of people will say otherwise, but imho Linksys is SH*T !!!
CLC - Where simulation meets reality.

... and Wentz22 steels signatures.
V1cinity
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Post by V1cinity »

Linksys is pretty bad. Oh well.
You said you hit 100K ? Nice work..., how long did this take you? 1 week, 3 days, what? I'm just curious to see how much easier it is for new dedicated CLC players with all the new server bonuses and cheaper fines.
It took me about 25-30 hours of total playtime. Ish....Maybe....Im not sure, I wasn't really keeping track that well. I started with 20k from before I got serious on getting the FZR and that was about a week ago. So I got 110k in that time. I also used an UF1 for the bonus at 50, 100, and 200 km. As well as the XRT for the 50, 100, 200, and 500 km bonus'. I think I got two or three bonus' from the FZ5 for 50, 100, and 200 km. Its a fun system! :D
V1cinity
Got wrong number
Got wrong number

Post by V1cinity »

OH! And I did the 50 coin thing twice. Which I'd like to add is just like driving the amount of time to get those coins. So its not REALLY a bonus... more like something to do while you are doing your 500km run.

I suppose if you did the coin bonus enough, you could learn where all the coins spawn and get money faster that way. Otherwise, you might be better off just driving.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

V1cinity wrote:OH! And I did the 50 coin thing twice. Which I'd like to add is just like driving the amount of time to get those coins. So its not REALLY a bonus... more like something to do while you are doing your 500km run.

I suppose if you did the coin bonus enough, you could learn where all the coins spawn and get money faster that way. Otherwise, you might be better off just driving.
[Off Topic continues]
I remeber in the first versions of the system, when you would loose 50% car value for a mistake it took me 9 weeks SOLID driving 6 hours+ a day) to get a FXR. What with all the disconections/pit bugs and many accidents on a full server and less money per km/h. And my old PC used to self-reboot every 4 hours or so. I would loose up to 7K every day without fail. One day I lost about 50K, 2 FZ5's and two RB4's and an XRG. Boy those days were hard-core sim cruising. A car crash could reduce someone to tears, and did.

BTW: coins will move about in the future. We don't want it to be too easy. :wink: