Help!

General talk about computers, hardware and software.

Moderator: CLC Crew

ben1112

Help!

Post by ben1112 »

Hey guys, i used to play on this server alot... I have since stopped playing LFS all together for a while. Recently i tried coming back to play, however i now have very high pings and keep disconnecting. This doesn't happen in the past. Can someone help me out?
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Re: Help!

Post by JasonJ »

ben1112 wrote:Hey guys, i used to play on this server alot... I have since stopped playing LFS all together for a while. Recently i tried coming back to play, however i now have very high pings and keep disconnecting. This doesn't happen in the past. Can someone help me out?
Wireless connections are a bad idea in LFS in most instances. Don't use wireless if you can help it.

I went down this road a couple of months ago with someone else...
Need help with random disconnects

Tips in this post particularly: LINK
Eaglezor
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Eagle !
LFS Name: Eaglezor

Post by Eaglezor »

yeh wrireless sux elese u have a rly good mother board
[OPC] Eagle - Sub Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
Image[/url]
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

eh? how does the Mobo affect the wireless speed? surely that's down to the USB speed(if the Rx is USB), processor, router and distance from it (but i guess USB speed is affected by the mobo)

just a bit of info for Linksys WRT54GS modem users (the blue one), if connections are dropping for no reason, check to see if the router is rebooting itself (put it somewhere so you can see the lights). mine has been doing this for the last few months, and it's not down to heat, because i moved it next to one of the exhaust fans on my PC.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] ROB!
LFS Name: dougie-lampkin

Post by dougie-lampkin »

matt2000 wrote:just a bit of info for Linksys WRT54GS modem users (the blue one), if connections are dropping for no reason, check to see if the router is rebooting itself (put it somewhere so you can see the lights). mine has been doing this for the last few months, and it's not down to heat, because i moved it next to one of the exhaust fans on my PC.
I'm using that router too, but through a wired connection. Maybe once a week, if the wireless is being used, I'm playing LFS and someone's on the phone, it just reboots itself. It's like its being overloaded or something, but I'm on a 3mbps connection, which should be plenty for that. Even the Linksys techs couldn't find a problem...maybe it's just a Linksys thing?
Image Image Image Image
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

yep seems like the same problem. i'm on a 2mbps connection and this PC is run through a wired connection too.

i think it's something about this router that can't handle the new higher speed connections. i have version 5.1, which apparently has half the internal memory of the V1, which could have something to do with it. i'll be getting a new one when Christmas is over (sales, yay), probably looking at a Netgear or Belkin.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

IF you feal you have problems with a particular router, try internet related searches about that router/modem. You might find a thread about issues and fixes for your type. I get alot of HEAT from my exhaust fans so beware of that remedy.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] ROB!
LFS Name: dougie-lampkin

Post by dougie-lampkin »

Mine is on top of my PC, so heat isn't a problem. It's fairly close to a window too. I'm still running the original version it came with (got it about 6 months ago). I don't really want to upgrade it, as it's working fine as it is, apart from the disconnect once a week :)
Image Image Image Image
Kstorm43
Stealing XFG
Stealing XFG
Ingame nick: [OPC] Kstorm!
LFS Name: Kstorm43

Post by Kstorm43 »

I've been on wireless for the last week or so (my wire broke or something, I dunno), and I haven't got disconnected at all aside from one or two mass disconnects.
OPC

[OPC] Kstorm!