Bad FPS - 10 FPS

General talk about computers, hardware and software.

Moderator: CLC Crew

Chesta
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Chesta!
LFS Name: Carboy717

Re: Kyoto track

Post by Chesta »

omg diid andrew just make sense? Epic......
Image - [OPC] Chesta - Leader of the Orange Pimps - http://www.opclfs.com
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

dougie-lampkin wrote: It's 256MB RAM, a 2Ghz Processor, and...oh wait that's it...

But I can hopefully do some proper modding now, I'm thinking 8GB RAM, a quad-core 4Ghz Processor (liquid cooled, naturally) and a HD3850 512mb video card!!! Finally I can play LFS with a sky!
you can't just put 8GB RAM into the PC, the chances are it won't take that much (my gaming motherboard has a max of 4 i think) and the chances of having a quad core in it are very slim (sockets have changed since the old processor was made)

to get that you would need a new motherboard at least, and really, if you want a good PC for LFS, build your own. I built this PC as a family PC to replace our old celeron and it is pretty good (considering it only cost £600)
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] ROB!
LFS Name: dougie-lampkin

Post by dougie-lampkin »

So basically, it'll be just the case left :lol: (with bits cut out here and there to fit bigger components)

Realisticaly, the upgrade will probably just be a stick of valu-ram and a graphics card :?
Image Image Image Image
MINIz guy
Sergeant
Ingame nick: [OPC] Andrew
LFS Name: MINIz guy

Post by MINIz guy »

Case won't be there actually, it isn't that safe to cut your computer case up to fit bigger components on for various reasons. It won't be easy to cut it up, since it's not plastic. Also, the airflow on that case may be severely worsened from what it already was like. It won't be that smart to try and stuff all your new things into an old case, plus, new cases are cheap, under $80.
matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Post by matt2000 »

MINIz guy wrote:Case won't be there actually, it isn't that safe to cut your computer case up to fit bigger components on for various reasons. It won't be easy to cut it up, since it's not plastic. Also, the airflow on that case may be severely worsened from what it already was like. It won't be that smart to try and stuff all your new things into an old case, plus, new cases are cheap, under $80.
or the bits sticking out might short on the case :P

see what you get first before planning mods :D
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

It is a plastic case...and I have a hammer... :wink:
The only air intake place is at the rear, which of course isn't part of the case...

lol I won't be cutting mad gashes in the case, I'm probably not going to do much more than maybe a 2GB stick of valu-ram and a graphics card, if the 'board supports em...
I don't do many heavy-duty games, so any more is a waste...
Image Image Image Image
P V L
Condition 2-speeder
Condition 2-speeder
Ingame nick: P V L
LFS Name: P V L

Post by P V L »

@ dougie-lampkin : Hi mate, are u going only on LFS ? so do I and my athlon 2800+ , 1GB ram , and a x800gto grafix do very

well. I got at least 30 fps (full of cars) up to 70-80 with almost full details. :D No need for a new pc at urs. just a nice 256 mb

grafix should be available for about 50 € 8) btw: I got lots more fps in race servers without layout. Greets P V L
Life is short --- Run fast
Join for great fun
PVL Crash & Fun
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

Yea, I think I will definatly need to get a graphics card, and I would probably need more RAM. It's 256mb at the moment, which is probably a bit low...I just hope the 'board can support more...Thanks all for your help :wink:

I would be happy to get around 30 - 50 at the lowest, I personaly see NO point in 200+ fps, it's just a waste...
Image Image Image Image
Sicarius
Discovering bank
Discovering bank

Post by Sicarius »

If you can save up 400-500 pounds I can spec out a semi-decent mid-range computer that should be able to play with settings at max on LFS. You could probably get away with spending less if you are willing to by second-hand parts. I'm not sure if you are willing to do that or not. Building computers/overclocking is one of my hobbies. I'm a poor uni student so I have to get slightly older parts (which are cheaper :D) but with my comp I'm able to play any game out there right now (can't play bioshock or crysis or the like on high settings but medium works fine and looks great imo) and I spent less than $700. Check out this website: http://www.ocforums.com and make a post in the general hardware section and the guys there will help you build the best computer you can for a limited budget (my username on there is BenF if you are interested).

What are the specific specs on your grandmother's computer (model numbers/part names). If you can provide those I can help you figure out what upgrades it can support and whether it makes sense to put any money into it at all. This is a little bit off-topic for this thread so it would probably make sense to either make a new thread or to PM me (I get emails notifying me when I get a PM so I'll respond much quicker).
Absinthe, my favorite drink, "After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, which is the most horrible thing in the world." - Oscar Wilde
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

OK, I'll start a new Off Topic thread, I don't know how to use these PMs, they never send for me :?
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Sorry, Dougie, I hadn't replied to the PM you sent me, :( it did actually work, I was just a bit busy to answer it.
MaxH
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: MaxH
LFS Name: MaxHeadroom

Post by MaxH »

dougie-lampkin wrote:I would be happy to get around 30 - 50 at the lowest, I personaly see NO point in 200+ fps, it's just a waste...
Well actually its not a waste, but whats unnecesary right now comes in handy in the future.

What i mean is that if you buy hardware, you basically pay for the time you can play with it. Get a fresh one and pay $$$ and it will last 2-3 years. Get one that was released a year ago and its cheap for the another year it got left. However, the just released highend HW are more costly per timeunit than normal segment. I tend to buy a next to highend to get the proportions right.

I bought a 8800GTS this aug (just before 8800GT was released, which immediatly was considered best worth money atm). 8800GTX is still best out there but not worth for what u get.
The swedish word for speed is 'fart'.
If you don't want to drive to get money, why are you in a cruise server? -dougie-lampkin

maxh.nu - My Twitter - FZ.se - C L C & Server status - My stats: LFSw, QS Image
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

MaxH wrote:Well actually its not a waste, but whats unnecesary right now comes in handy in the future.

What i mean is that if you buy hardware, you basically pay for the time you can play with it. Get a fresh one and pay $$$ and it will last 2-3 years. Get one that was released a year ago and its cheap for the another year it got left. However, the just released highend HW are more costly per timeunit than normal segment. I tend to buy a next to highend to get the proportions right.

I bought a 8800GTS this aug (just before 8800GT was released, which immediatly was considered best worth money atm). 8800GTX is still best out there but not worth for what u get.
I meant it's a waste for me, LFS is probably the most demanding game I play on my PC. Although it would be nice to have a PC that would still be quick by the standards of 3 years time, I don't mind upgrading a bit every few years...I don't have the cash for any serious upgrades anyway... :(

JasonJ wrote:Sorry, Dougie, I hadn't replied to the PM you sent me, :( it did actually work, I was just a bit busy to answer it.
I wasn't directing it to you JJ, I have PMs still in my Outbox that I've sent weeks ago...the ones that do send take a few days...that's what I meant :wink:
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Re: Bad FPS - 10 FPS

Post by JasonJ »

Kyoto thoughts thread was getting off-topic.... so I split this thread from Kyoto thread posts
//JJ
Walkingpie
Officer
Ingame nick: Appo
LFS Name: walkingpie

Re: Bad FPS - 10 FPS

Post by Walkingpie »

Max i'm assuming you bought a G80 core GTS, because the G92 core GTS is now the best card you can buy.