Keep losing connection...

General talk about CLC and LFS that doesn't fit in other forums in this category

Moderator: CLC Crew

dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] ROB!
LFS Name: dougie-lampkin

Re: Keep losing connection...

Post by dougie-lampkin »

That's what it did the last time...how long was your's down Chesta?
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

One one the tracert timed out. Keep hitting the tracert and monitor it. If I see that sort of thing and its the same router boucing then you can be pretty sure the ISP owning that router is having some issue. But this is a pretty vauge guess.

I remember about 12 months ago I had constant problems with my net. I was doing tracerts and it was random timeouts in Melbourne-Australia. I trampled through forums trying to convince people that there was some issue there and eventually after 3 weeks my ISP 'found' something wrong, replace a router somewhere and magically my connection was full at 100% stability again.

IIRC Chesta had about 2-3 weeks of issues. You must remember that using another LFS server may use a completely differnt route that the route use to use CLC server at 500 servers. When you use a different route, you may bypass some router somewhere that has the issue. Keep doing some tracert'ing. If you see alot of *time outs* then its something that isnt at CLC's end or even 500servers. Maybe some program on your system is affecting things. Tried another PC? (If possible.)

FWIW: my problems with LFSstrobe never made me have long predictable timeouts/lag bar rising. I just got "snap" lost conenction. No delay just "bang". No warnings.

Next release od CLiS I will be removing some of the inSim spam from the server, but I really don't know if this will solve anything. I can't really monitor how well the server is coping with inSim packets at this point, I dont have console access. After I do some optimisation I will have a better idea if I'm on the right path because the logs will show me that. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I find anything of use out.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

Is there anyway I can find out from my ISP which router that is? Or because it's no.1 does that mean it's mine?
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

For IP informations: WhoIs By IP

I had better kuck here however: http://whois.domaintools.com/213.200.67.217

that #7 tiscali one: Germany Tiscali International Network B.v Thats Germany. Why is your route going through Gemany to get to 500 servers which is in UK I have no idea. Maybe they own stuff in the UK, idk.

If its #1 its your home gateway. That's got me stumped. Anyone got ideas?
Attachments
Here's mine
Here's mine
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

lol how can the connection that's 1 foot away from my PC timeout? And I really don't know why or even how the connection would go to Germany...or else Tiscali Germany owns routers in UK...for some bizarre reason, I mean, there is a Tiscali UK...

Thanks for the help JJ, I'm going to keep trying that tracert, and if it's my router that's causing trouble, I'll get my ISP to fix it...they owe me 8)

EDIT: I've done it 5 times. The first time, number 1 timed out, and so did numer 5. But for the other 3, it had a <1 ping. So maybe my router is too slow or something?

E2: After tracing to random IPs, I find about 3/5 times my own router times out...

I just joined now, and lasted around 30 seconds before losing connection...shame...
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

Sue ??

Can you borrow another router to test..... I'm just about out of ideas now.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

Maybe I can *sneak* the modem connection into the PC for a while...trouble is, that router is supplying 2 other PCs and the phone :P

Maybe the ethernet cable is faulty or something? I'll change that too :?
Image Image Image Image
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

I've just plugged my modem straight into my PC, and way-hey, no problems!

But now the serious problem is, what can i do to fix my router? A new one is out of the question (our ISP f*cked up the installation by drilling through the live feed to the house and exploding half the wall, so we got a free router :P ), and I'm not sure if the firmware can be upgraded...

It's a Linksys WRTP54G if that helps...

E: Yep, I've just spent the last ...3 hours playing CLC and not once did my lag bar rise!!! So my router is definatly at fault...hmm...
Image Image Image Image
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by JasonJ »

/me chucks out idea to stay up for long nights to fix some button (few bytes) spam that MIGHT cause someone to time out.

yur sharing ur internetz connection ?!?! :shock:
chairs.gif
chairs.gif (2.44 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Well at least now I can sleep at nights. :cry:
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

I'm only sharing it in my house! I have a laptop and a PS3 connected to it through wireless, but they're almost never connected at the same time whilst I'm playing LFS...and of course the phone comes through the broadband, so that has to stay connected the router (another reason the router can't be changed, it has to be VOIP...).

I've only had the router about 6 months, so I suppose my ISP would fix it or give me a new one, as I'd call that faulty...

EDIT: The ping to the router now times out 8/10 times...it's getting worse :(
Image Image Image Image
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

BUMP! The problem is getting way worse now...even with less than 20 people on the server, I lose connection after 2 minutes maximum. That's with or without the router. Some of the pings to the router fail, but I still lose connection even if I bypass the router, so could it be my PC? I'm running XP, I have no firewall ( :shock: WindowsFirewall died ages ago) and I turned off all Ant-virus programs before joining. Could there be something on my PC preventing me from making good connections?
Image Image Image Image
passme[bum]
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] Pass me
LFS Name: proteus

Post by passme[bum] »

what isp you with ???
Some People Are Like Slinkies - Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs
comp specs
Main
intel Q6600 ,Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P , 4gb Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz ,Msi ati rx3850 Radeon 512mb OC edition ,Hiper power 580
2nd
intel e4500 core 2 duo 2.2ghz , GA-G31M-S2L, 2x2gb kingston memory, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3850 256mb , psu 700watt
3rd
AMD 4200+ 2.2ghz X2 ,GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH ,4x512mb buffalo ,Radeon HD6450 512mb ,coloursit 500watt
all boring cases
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

I'm with ICE, but talking to them is like talking to the wall...We've rang 'em about 5 times this year, each time they invented a new story full of BS, like "A server in your area is down" or "It's windy out, and your signal is weak"...

It's not normal timeout though, it's insim making me time out, which is weird...I can see all text and other cars before I go, and my pings are in the 30s/40s...
Image Image Image Image
samforey
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: ECL > Sam
LFS Name: samforey12345

Post by samforey »

It might be that your internet is EXTREMELY slow, which causes you to time out with still being able to see the messages .. etc because it is running, but just incredible slow. Beecause sometimes, when i have my 2 brothers playing WoW and my step sister on msn my internet slows down so much that i get the same problem as you, but then when one of them gets off, i will be away again and not time out.
dougie-lampkin
Busted robber
Busted robber

Post by dougie-lampkin »

Yes, that sounds plausible...it wouldn't be the first time they've deliberately slowed my connection, even though there's nothing about it in the contract :shock:

I'll just have to call/e-mail them so...Thanks for the help :wink:
Image Image Image Image