Moderator: CLC Crew

matt2000
Official Towtruck
Ingame nick: [FG] Matt2ooo uk
LFS Name: matt2000

Rules regarding distance - please read

Post by matt2000 »

Hi,

First of all, I'd like the admins, particularly Jason to know that this is in know way a moan, and I am not trying to tell anyone how they should run their server. I know admins tend to react badly to that (JJ got angry with me last time I mentioned it), so this is just a suggestion.

Recently, I have been attempting to reach 500km in my XFG, 4 times in the last week in fact. Each time I haven't managed to reach that, for various reasons. Today my PC locked up for no apparent reason after playing for more than 3 hours and racking up 238km.

So obviously the rule which says the distance cannot be restored because the lost connection was 'my fault' is starting to get up my nose a bit. I see no reason why the distance shouldn't be automatically restored for distance drivers, because InSim is capable of it, and technically there is no refund involved, just the distance restored so the civilian can keep driving.

I know other people have different opinions on this, so I've thought up a way around cheaters.

- Distance will only be restored if the driver has covered a total distance of 150km (this can change with the car of course). This stops people who have covered short distances from getting it back.
- Only 1 restore is available. Basically you get a lifeline, but if you lag out again, then you're stuffed.
- Restore times out after 10 mins. you can't come back a day or week later, for example.

Alternatively the restore service could be offered as a pay to use service, for a 1500 fee you can get the distance back. 1500 puts off people who are trying to build up distance bit by bit, but someone like me who is half way to 500km would prefer that to starting again. If you've started the challenge with a genuine aim to get to 500km or more, then you will pay, and you should be able to get the distance back. As far as the current rules go with distance, it seems as if CLC is trying to stop people getting at cash bonuses. Refunds are picked over for petty faults, and any kind of loss not related to CLC's reliability (which is very good) is dismissed with a 'sorry, we can't do that.'

An admin once asked me if he should give everyone 10k when I asked about a previous refund, and I personally think that it doesn't matter how much is given away. It's not limited money, so it doesn't need to be saved, and although part of the challenge is driving to earn cash without losing it, I see no reason why people should be denied getting back cash they lost due to OOB, time outs, or people who have scammed them.

The last thing I would like to say is that distance drivers like me put a lot of effort into getting to the larger distances (avoiding the other drivers can be hard enough sometimes) so when the distance is lost it really puts you off playing the game. Which is a real shame because CLC is for fun. I think that I'm one of the more mature drivers on CLC, but I sometimes think we're forgotten about.

I think that's everything, thanks for reading. Just don't ban me for it please. Big thanks for the support some people have shown. :D

Matt
passme[bum]
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] Pass me
LFS Name: proteus

Re: Rules regarding distance - please read

Post by passme[bum] »

well as you know there are limited things to spend your hard earned cash on , so it would seem pointless to make the distance quests easy as with some vehicles theres a fair amount of cash involved , as we have seen what earning all the cash and cars leads to after a while ,boredom basically . distance quests are deliberatly hard as if you had the time to do everyday you would soon get bored .
plus distance quests are to promote good driving , of which OOB isnt good driving , as the less desirables can be avioded with a little thought ,time issue can be cheated so some hard thinking on stopping that would be required for anything to be done about this .
these are my personal thoughts about this and in no way reflect the collective thinking of clc admins
Some People Are Like Slinkies - Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs
comp specs
Main
intel Q6600 ,Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P , 4gb Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz ,Msi ati rx3850 Radeon 512mb OC edition ,Hiper power 580
2nd
intel e4500 core 2 duo 2.2ghz , GA-G31M-S2L, 2x2gb kingston memory, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3850 256mb , psu 700watt
3rd
AMD 4200+ 2.2ghz X2 ,GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH ,4x512mb buffalo ,Radeon HD6450 512mb ,coloursit 500watt
all boring cases
matt2000
Official Towtruck

Post by matt2000 »

I completely understand what you mean. If you go OOB then that's something you have to deal with. I very rarely go OOB by myself, but my problem is with my PC. I've just got my internet connection fixed with a new router, but now it freezes. once the whole graphics driver died!

Thanks for giving me your opinion. :)

And I love the statement in your signature. :D
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver
Ingame nick: SEAN-NZ
LFS Name: SEAN-NZ

Post by SEAN-NZ »

so basically u want insurance?
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4600 2.4GHZ LGA775 WITH COOLERMASTER V8 COOLER, ASUSTEK P5KPL-CM LGA775, INNO3D GEFORCE 8600GT 512MB PCIE,WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIER GREEN 1TB 7200RPM SATA 64MB HDD, POWER CASE 500W EZCOOL POWER SUPPLY, CORSAIR 4GB-1033MHZ, 1.5TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL HDD
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Dunno why you think this idea deserves banning you.
I see no reason why people should be denied getting back cash they lost due to OOB, time outs, or people who have scammed them.
OOB - drive safely and defensively you wont get OOB'ed. The whole point is to make you drive safer and be aware, putting in OOB refunds etc will just make cash pointless Sure it would be less frustrating, but no penalties for driving bad/lazy will be boring as hell. If you are truely a good driver you will even be able to avoid other bad drivers. Defensive driving.
OOB fines will definately not be removed or refunded. If that were the case you may as well remove all cash and just use KMs to measure when someone should be allowed car X, Y or Z.

timeouts - if timeouts could not be faked then the problem would be less. If we could trust people we're not faking a timeout to get a free tow, then we wouldn't charge for timeouts. But we can not trust everyone else. [O/T]Ever wondered why it takes 10 secs to !pitlane? That is because someone might be heading towards OOB and use a !pitlane bind to save the OOB fine and only pay half. I bet alot of players think its 10 seconds to seem realistic and don't think of some of the complexities involved with cheating and exploits. [/O/T] I am now looking for a reason why someone would pull their internet halfway though a 500km run. Maybe to stop a OOB in mid flight. I'll have to do some testing on how that is resolved server side.

scammed - only if you let someone scam you can you be scammed. If someone gives you a false fine, (which would be minor ammount) then this could be investigated and the perpetrator would be punished. If you get scammed from loaning money then that's tough. No one forces you to lend money, do it at risk.

Problems with your solutions:

Is 1 timeout going to be enough? Next month next suggestion will be 1 isn't enough, I had router failed and then 2 hours Later PC froze.

10 minute timer doesn't help someone who's ISP goes down for 2 hours or their PC wont reboot quickly or cannot reconnect quickly for some reason. So those people in that case will want a "special" refund. Depends how ofter this happens though. But usually when I loose connection, sometimes I can't get back on for 15 minutes because of some home network issue sometimes. And sometimes server is full, then those players cannot get back in within 10 minutes. So I don't feel 10 minutes is enough. But it cannot be so long that someone can get a sleep rest.

Anyway there is alot of extra coding to allow for time out "timers" and maximum number of timeouts so I guess we have time to hear it from the man his well thought out ideas on such things. And the possiblity to exploit a timeout when heading towards OOB will need testing as well.
matt2000
Official Towtruck

Post by matt2000 »

JasonJ wrote:Problems with your solutions:

Is 1 timeout going to be enough? Next month next suggestion will be 1 isn't enough, I had router failed and then 2 hours Later PC froze.

10 minute timer doesn't help someone who's ISP goes down for 2 hours or their PC wont reboot quickly or cannot reconnect quickly for some reason. So those people in that case will want a "special" refund. Depends how ofter this happens though. But usually when I loose connection, sometimes I can't get back on for 15 minutes because of some home network issue sometimes. And sometimes server is full, then those players cannot get back in within 10 minutes. So I don't feel 10 minutes is enough. But it cannot be so long that someone can get a sleep rest.

Anyway there is alot of extra coding to allow for time out "timers" and maximum number of timeouts so I guess we have time to hear it from the man his well thought out ideas on such things. And the possiblity to exploit a timeout when heading towards OOB will need testing as well.
Yes I understand the problems with the solution, I know I would struggle to get my PC rebooted in 10 minutes. I don't know what the time would be, the details aren't up to me, I just made the suggestion. If you don't think it would benefit the server then there's no problem with that.
Dunno why you think this idea deserves banning you.
I always get the feeling that my suggestions are anything but welcome, like the 'well thought out ideas' comment you made. Maybe it's just me.
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver

Post by SEAN-NZ »

just with the pitlanes, even if u were going towards oob and u did pitlane, u couldnt anyway coz u cant be moving to get pitlaned, so wats the point of waiting for ur pitlane if u cant be moving to get pitlaned?
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4600 2.4GHZ LGA775 WITH COOLERMASTER V8 COOLER, ASUSTEK P5KPL-CM LGA775, INNO3D GEFORCE 8600GT 512MB PCIE,WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIER GREEN 1TB 7200RPM SATA 64MB HDD, POWER CASE 500W EZCOOL POWER SUPPLY, CORSAIR 4GB-1033MHZ, 1.5TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL HDD
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

I'm not sure now if speed is measured vertically as well via inSim. From my memeory I fear it isn't. So you might be flying straight up and inSim thinks your only going 1 kph (horizontally). Not 100% sure on this now.

You're right how the need to be stopped cancels out the need to wait 10secs. However it is a good deterent for cops !pitlaning quickly during a bank chase, an annoyance for them to give the robber some of his edge back if you like. But I guess it was easier for me to leave the timer in the code than untangle it and pull it out, so I never thought about in detail.

Also it gives some people a chance to offer a tow help and the person pitlaning has still got time to cancel it and is nice if you have !pitlane binded and accidently press it. Personally I think timer is nice because it is a pain in the but. It's sort of a punishment for being a noob.

but this stuff is off this topic.. >>>
passme[bum]
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] Pass me
LFS Name: proteus

Post by passme[bum] »

honestly i think the timer is good as in real life you wipeout /breakdown the AA/RAC/autoclub arent there instantly and recovery trucks can not hook you up at 100mph lol
this is my view
Some People Are Like Slinkies - Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs
comp specs
Main
intel Q6600 ,Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P , 4gb Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz ,Msi ati rx3850 Radeon 512mb OC edition ,Hiper power 580
2nd
intel e4500 core 2 duo 2.2ghz , GA-G31M-S2L, 2x2gb kingston memory, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3850 256mb , psu 700watt
3rd
AMD 4200+ 2.2ghz X2 ,GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH ,4x512mb buffalo ,Radeon HD6450 512mb ,coloursit 500watt
all boring cases
SEAN-NZ
Getaway driver
Getaway driver

Post by SEAN-NZ »

passme[bum] wrote:honestly i think the timer is good as in real life you wipeout /breakdown the AA/RAC/autoclub arent there instantly and recovery trucks can not hook you up at 100mph lol
this is my view

thats a good point :)
Crystal
Officer
Ingame nick: Crystal
LFS Name: Crystal141192

Post by Crystal »

About the pitlane: I've never actually been bothered by the waiting. I think it's realistic and preventing problems/cheating.. 2 purposes in one.

Who really cares about 5 seconds waiting?
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"