Any MMO players?

Talk about others games that you, or other, might like.

Moderator: CLC Crew

Orsenfelt
Using !help
Using !help

Any MMO players?

Post by Orsenfelt »

So I'm a massive MMO fan.. They are usually the games I enjoy most, Atleast they used to be.. Just wondering if there are any others out there on CLC, If so.. What you playing ? +)

Here's why I am asking : Age of Conan has been a boring, bland let down.. Unfortuneatly
skstibi
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Re: Any MMO players?

Post by skstibi »

MMO?
ehh. what exactly is a MMO?
Want to mess with me? Go for it.. See what happens.. Just don't complain about what happens.
Crystal
Officer
Ingame nick: Crystal
LFS Name: Crystal141192

Post by Crystal »

The only thing I know as abbreviation is MMORPG .. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Game.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 MSI TwinFrozr III | AsusP8Z77-V | 8 GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CL9 | Intel 520 Series SSD 180 GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | Cooler Master HAF X Case | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Logitech Z-2300 | Sony XB-700 | Logitech G25 | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech MX620 Cordless Mouse | HP ZR2440W 24"

Orsenfelt
Using !help
Using !help

Post by Orsenfelt »

Crystal wrote:The only thing I know as abbreviation is MMORPG .. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Game.

^^^^
Bobomoomin
Officer
Ingame nick: [CLC] Bobo
LFS Name: Jack Tebbutt

Post by Bobomoomin »

Failscape.

That is all.
Miles
Busted robber
Busted robber
Ingame nick: [OPC] Miles!
LFS Name: M1l3S

Post by Miles »

wow, ocasionally failscape haha maybe AoC if i can ever afford it
[OPC] Miles!
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber
Ingame nick: Shaken_Bacon
LFS Name: shakenbake

Post by shaken_bacon »

Well I have not played many, mostly play betas and free ones. I played city of heroes for a month or 2 but the monthly fee I felt was a little sharp. I once again have tried the mmorpg genre and bought Lord of the Rings Online, only 10$ a month at the moment, so I felt it was worth it. :D

I have played several beta's and trials, this one is the only one I felt the costs were worth it to me.
Well I say ChrisP steals Wentz22 spelling skills.

ChrisP says Wentz22 steels signatures.
brataccas3
Discovering bank
Discovering bank
Ingame nick: brataccas
LFS Name: brataccas

Post by brataccas3 »

anyone tried test drive unlimited? thats a MMORCG (massive multiplayer online racing game) or something like that :?
faens morsomt :jawdrop:
Orsenfelt
Using !help
Using !help

Post by Orsenfelt »

brataccas3 wrote:anyone tried test drive unlimited? thats a MMORCG (massive multiplayer online racing game) or something like that :?
The utter lack of realism killed it for me =(
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Can anyone describe what keeps ppl addicted to these games like WoW etc. I've never played it, (not my type of game tbh), but I am curious to know exactly what it is that keeps people wanting to play it 24/7. What's the goal? Once you 'complete it' are you compelled to keep playing? I've tried internet searches, but alot of the things I read are usually incomprehendible babble.

I am asking, 'cause some of the future CLC ideas are in development and I want to know if I can capture anything that is 'fun' in these types of games.

Thanks for any feedback.
Orsenfelt
Using !help
Using !help

Post by Orsenfelt »

JasonJ wrote:Can anyone describe what keeps ppl addicted to these games like WoW etc. I've never played it, (not my type of game tbh), but I am curious to know exactly what it is that keeps people wanting to play it 24/7. What's the goal? Once you 'complete it' are you compelled to keep playing? I've tried internet searches, but alot of the things I read are usually incomprehendible babble.

I am asking, 'cause some of the future CLC ideas are in development and I want to know if I can capture anything that is 'fun' in these types of games.

Thanks for any feedback.
I'll do my best.. (Long post inc)

First, You need to understand that there is now 3 different types of MMO's, Not overly different but the distinction needs to be made.

The first type, The first 3d MMORPG's on the market, Everquest was the leader. Massive world, No restrictions, No player help, No tutorial.. It would throw you into the world with a broken stick and it was upto you to seek everything out, Level up and what not.
In essence, Sounds terrible, Right? No. The community was fantastic, It was a great place to be.

Second type, The 'WoW' generation. World of Warcraft took the Everquest mould, and added a cuddly bear to hold your hand all the way through it. It gave you things like maps, Quick levelling and the biggest killer : Instanced Area's. Instanced area's are where you 'zone' into a place and it's unique to just you and your party. It was great for folks new to MMO's.. however it kills the community aspect in my opinion, Turns everyone into greedy loot *bad language reported*'s who are all me me me.. 'cause they are used to it.

The third type, The WoW-Copy-Cats-mix-oldschool-and-fails. (Games like Vanguard: SoH | Age of Conan |Warhammer). They copy the interface, the instances and the general carebear of WoW, Then they go take some oldschool with longer levelling times. You'd think these would be good, Turns out they are not. People either go hardcore or carebear... The in-between always ends up in a horrible bland mess that can't figure out what it is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes them great, Makes people keep playing? It is 2 fold.
DIVERSITY <---|&|---> CHARACTER BUILDING

If I can get on the game and progress without being forced to do the same as everyone else, I will stay.

How can this be applied to CLC? Simple. Different 'rewards' of different 'kinds' for the same fee (The fee can be time/effort or cash)
Let's assume cash, Since it's easy.

You add in 3 or 4 rewards, All for the same amount, However they do different things and you can only have 1 of these rewards at a time. I don't know the ins and outs of what inSim can do.. So the rewards can be upto you.

Then, To make it even greater (and bring in character building).. You tier the reward system. 5 tiers, Each one with 4 rewards better than the last. 1 of each tier.. :D This way players can customize their character and make it different from others..

The rewards can be? Well I have no idea.. but the genius behind RPG's is that they can be pretty much nothing. A title, A fake bowl of cereal.. It really doesn't matter. It's more about the achieving rather than the actual reward.
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber

Post by shaken_bacon »

brataccas3 wrote:anyone tried test drive unlimited? thats a MMORCG (massive multiplayer online racing game) or something like that :?
Yes for the xbox 360, it is one of ,my favourite games ever. Fairly realistic, yet has in car view, it is all about cruising. I love it =). Although I heard the PC version has a lot of issues, and the xbox version has more features and cars I believe as well.

On a side note why are RPG's adictive, like the post above mine it is the reward systems. Plyaers like ot feel rewarded when we do anything in life, and games are not exception. When you can have multiple awards on the go, maybe coins, lotto, km's, and cash are a good example. The more you add the better (of course don't make them too easy.) For example many RPG's and MMORPG's have a formula like this...

Alright you make your own character which you can advance your main stats by leveling up. You can also advance specific skills by doing certain things such as if you use bows, a lot your bow skill will increase (two rewards). Now you add quests with this, and items. Such as getting better weapons, = more rewards.

Now many RPG's also add systems like crafting to give you an alternative from fighting , yet still are rewarded for doing so.

All games you need to space out rewards, and have multiple paths, this is what makes them addictive.

skstibi
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew

Post by skstibi »

Tad off topic.
Will someone explain Myspace?

On topic.
The only thing that I have that involves massive amounts of players is Testdrive Unlimited. Second most is LFS.
Want to mess with me? Go for it.. See what happens.. Just don't complain about what happens.
JasonJ
CityLifeCrew
CityLifeCrew
Ingame nick: [CLC] JasonJ
LFS Name: JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

ahhh, ooooohhhh. yeh. ok.

paper beats rock beats scissors beats paper - I can see through time now, just gotta now push the stop button. Thanks for that.
shaken_bacon
Bank robber
Bank robber

Post by shaken_bacon »

skstibi wrote:Tad off topic.
Will someone explain Myspace?

On topic.
The only thing that I have that involves massive amounts of players is Testdrive Unlimited. Second most is LFS.
Well no one has answered you yet, so I will do my best shot. I never really use myspace, facebook or any other of those sites. Myspace was basically used to kept contacts with people, and it was usually used with bands to show there stuff online. Most bands have a myspace page becuase they can upload sample music, biographys, etc. Of course bands are not the only people who use it anyone can have a profile, and search for other people.